Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sufi Master on - Can I see God?

A Short story of a Sufi Master who was asked can you help me to see God?

On the top of the mountain, lived a Sufi Master. Once every month he used to visit the village at the foot of the mountain. On one such visit, A man approached him and asked, How come I cannot have sight of the God? Can you help me to see God?

"Sure", was the reply of the Sufi Master, but for that you will have to help me.

"What help do you need Master?"

"You will have to pick up five stones of equal size and weight. Carry them to the top of the mountain, so that I can use them to build a platform outside my hut."

The seeker agreed. Both started there journey way up on the mountain. Soon the man got tired and walking became a very difficult task for him.

"Discard one of the stones", the Sufi Master told, "then it will be easier for you."

The man discarded one of the stone and walking became easier. Once again the man got tired. Walking towards the mountain top was becoming very tough. The master again asked him to discard one of the stone. Likewise all five stones were discarded on the to the top of the mountain.

The Sufi Master then said to the man, "Now I have shown you the way to God."

The man was perplexed. He said, "I cannot see God."

The Master explained, "The five stones symbolize the our major weaknesses to see God. They are Lust, Anger, Greed, Desires and Ego. Learn to discard these. Let me be the first one to warn you, it will not be easy. Strive hard, I shall help you. When all you succeed in throwing away all these stones which are but curtains between you and God. Then effortlessly you will have sight of your beloved God."

Thus the man began his journey on the Sufi Path under a Sufi Master.

Other Short stories that might be of your interest

A Sufi Story Lover Attribute
Rumi - Love for God
Nasruddin trying to fill pitcher
A Sufi anecdote from Meher Baba's God Speaks
Has my beloved (God) escaped from my heart?
The counterfeit coin A moral story
Sri Ramakrishna's state of mind



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say!